tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: IlegalStateException - Please Mind it!
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:25:07 GMT
Ariel wrote:

> I am receiving the following message on my servlet running on Tomcat 3.2 on
> RedHat 7.0
>
> IllegalStateException: Reader already obtained for this request.
>
> My servlet does not use getReader() nor getInputStream()
>
> The same servlet run ok in Tomcat 3.1 on Windows 2000

Without more information (the entire stack trace, and the code snippet around
where you encounter this exception) it is really hard for anyone to help
diagnose what is going on.

One thing to note -- if you are processing a POST request, and you call one of
the request.getParameter() family of methods, the servlet container *does* call
request.getReader() for you, in order to process the request parameters.

> Ariel

Craig McClanahan