tomcat-users mailing list archives

From A Yang <ayang...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Large Scale Tomcat use
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:31:56 GMT
Hi,

I was just curious - if I wanted to architect a
multi-tier web app environment, what would be the best
approach in terms of scalability, performance and
security:

1. Apache -- Firewall -- Standalone Tomcat -- Firewall
-- DB
2. Apache -- Firewall -- Apache/Tomcat -- Firewall --
DB
3. Apache/Tomcat -- Firewall -- Standalone Tomcat --
Firewall -- DB
4. Apache/Tomcat -- Firewall -- Apache/Tomcat --
Firewall -- DB
5. Apache/Tomcat -- Firewall -- DB
6. Apache/Tomcat -- Firewall -- Apache/Tomcat --
Firewall -- DB

"Apache/Tomcat" refers to Apache w/ mod_jk.so and
Tomcat running on the same machine.

I'm not familiar with the recommended approaches
towards distributing Apache and Tomcat, so some of
these options might not make sense (ok, none of them
might make sense...)

Just thought I'd see if anyone has "best practices" or
experience with doing so - this seemed related to load
balancing, but I thought I'd try a new thread.

Regards,
Andy