tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yang A <>
Subject Re: and Apache generates undefined symbol error at runtime
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:21:53 GMT
> I've managed to compile the under
> Mandrake Linux (RedHat 6.2 and then some) but when I

> try to run the module with Apache 1.3.14 I get an
> undefined symbol error (see below).I used the Tomcat
> source in jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1-src to create the
> shared object. The following was the runtime error
> message from Apache.
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/ into
> server: /usr/local/apache/libexec/
> undefined symbol: ap_table_elts
> Server version:
> Server version: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix)
> Server built:   Oct 11 2000 17:17:36
> OS version (uname -a):
> Linux myHost 2.2.17-21mdk #1 Thu Oct 5 13:16:08 CEST
> 2000 i686 unknown
> Any ideas. I'd really like to get working.
> If anyone has a working version with Apache 1.3.14,
> I'll take it. I've no real strong desire to compile
> it again (and again, and again).

Why not? I have been. 8)

I'm no guru - but since I've been mucking around with
this for the last couple of days, it's still
relatively fresh in my memory.

I ran into similar problems myself - I was trying to
get apache 1.3.14 with mod_jk, mod_ssl and DSO going.

This is the best summary I've seen yet:

The thread also mentions that the info has been posted
at somewhere.

I'm not sure exactly what made my installation finally
work - I changed several things this last time through
- most of them mentioned in the above reference:

1. Instead of using IBM's JDK 1.1.8, I downloaded the
latest Blackdown JDK 1.3 and used it instead

2. Instead of hacking into my httpd.conf file as
outlined in the mod_jk HOW-TO at,
I followed the advice of the mailing list posting and
just added

to the end of the httpd.conf file.

3. Instead of doing a straight compile of jakarta
using apxs directly as outlined in the mod_jk HOW-TO,
I edited/used the Makefile.linux file - also as per
the mailing list posting.

All in all, Neil Aggarwal's document was what pushed
me over the top to get things working.

Of course, now that I need to customize my tomcat
environment, I'm busy breaking it. 8)

Hope this helps - don't know which one (if any - for
all I know, it could have been Jupiter moving into the
house of Mars) made the difference, but perhaps your
experiences might allow us to update the mod_jk

Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at

View raw message