tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brian Sondergaard" <Br...@Quelson.com>
Subject JSP Compile error importing javax.mail
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2001 02:58:39 GMT
I've seen this problem posted before, but I couldn't find a solution. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated!

I'm attempting to use JavaMail from a JSP, but the page will not compile. I recieve the following
two errors:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP/opt/software/jakarta-tomcat/work/.../_0002fMailTest_0002ejspMailTest_jsp_0.java:15:
Package javax.mail not found in import.
import javax.mail.*;
       ^
/opt/software/jakarta-tomcat/work/.../_0002fMailTest_0002ejspMailTest_jsp_0.java:16: Package
javax.mail.internet not found in import.
import javax.mail.internet.*;
       ^
2 errors

Here are the first few lines of the JSP:

<%@page import="java.io.*"%>
<%@page import="java.util.*"%>
<%@page import="javax.mail.*"%>
<%@page import="javax.mail.internet.*"%>

mail.jar and activation.jar are in the WEB-INF/lib directory and are included in the resulting
classpath as reflected in jasper.log:

Classpath according to the Servlet Engine is: ... :<docBase>/WEB-INF/lib/activation.jar:<docBase>/WEB-INF/lib/mail.jar

    <docBase> is the full path to the base directory for the given servlet context.

I have a couple of dozen JSP's that use other dependent classes. In every case, the packages
are imported just like MailTest, and the corresponding jar files are in the WEB-INF/lib directory.
The situation seems to be identical, but the page that attempts to import the JavaMail packages
will not compile.

By the way, there are 17 jar files in my WEB-INF/lib directory, all of which are added properly
to the classpath produced by Tomcat (as seen in Jasper.log). Seemingly by coincidence, mail.jar
and activation.jar are the last two files specified in the classpath. Could that have anything
to do with it?

This is Tomcat 3.1 on Solaris using Apache.

Thanks for any suggestions!