tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bob Jones" <...@commercegroup.com>
Subject Unable to compile class for JSPerror: HELP!
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:36:35 GMT
I am running tomcat stand alone on windows2000 with jdk1.3

Whenever I attempt to compile a jsp that instantiates a class of mine that has 3 levels of
inheritance with some methods that are named the same I get
a...
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSPerror: An error has occurred
in the compiler; Please visit the URL http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk/support for information
on investigating/reporting this problem.

In the browser and a

sun.tools.java.CompilerError: duplicate addition

in the console....

I have researched the java error on the sun site and they say it was a problem with the javac
compiler on 1.2.2 and it is fixed on 1.3....
I can compile the source that tomcat creates from a command line with no problem....

And just to confirm that I was really using that jdk install I renamed the tools.jar once
and got an error in the browser saying it couldn't find those classes....

So it appears that this problem only occurs when tomcat tries to compile the jsp even though
the jdk compiler doesn't have any issues..

To add another twist I am using the Tomcat environment in VisualAge and it has been going
great.....

Tomcat is a good fit for our app dev and hosting shop in  a lot of ways so I REALLY want to
figure this one out!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Bob Jones
bob@commercegroup.com