I downloaded Apache and got it to run. I
downloaded Tomcat 3.2.1 build and tried to compile the java files. Got tons of
errors. Can anyone point me at a definitive step by step Howto?
I did the following (from Tomcat - A Minimalistic
- Download the zip/tar.gz/whatever file from http://jakarta.apache.org/downloads/binindex.html.
- Unzip the file into some directory (say foo). This should create a new
subdirectory named "tomcat".
- Change directory to "tomcat" and set a new environment variable
(TOMCAT_HOME) to point to the root directory of your Tomcat hierarchy.
- On Win32 you should type:
- On UNIX you should type:
for bash/sh "TOMCAT_HOME=foo/tomcat ;
for tcsh "setenv TOMCAT_HOME foo/tomcat"
- Set the environment variable JAVA_HOME to point to the root directory of
your JDK hierarchy, then add the Java interpreter to your PATH environment
That's it! You can now execute Tomcat and it will run as a stand-alone (type
1) servlet container...........BUT that's not IT.