tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ivan E. Markovic" <i...@sculptlight.com>
Subject "Too many open files" error?
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 17:15:23 GMT
I am running a stress test on my Servlet based system; there are
about 30 users being tested simultaneously. It works well for about 5
10 mins or so and then I get the error listed below and then after
about another minute the whole system locks up! I cannot hit any of
the servlets. Apache is still running but Tomcat is hung.

I have checked my code and I don't leave any files open. Am I
restricted as to the number of users that I have on the system? Can I
increase the no. of open files? How can I check the number of open
files that I have?

Thank you for your time.

java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Compiled Code)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Compiled Code)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.run(Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Compiled Code)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)
Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8007]
shutdown due to exception: java.net.SocketException: Too many open
files

I v a n ...
Ivan Markovic
SculptLight