tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Marquart <jomar...@indiana.edu>
Subject servlet configuration help.
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:43:48 GMT
List members,
	Excuse this relatively "newbie" question - but I have not yet
found anything in the FAQ or mailing list archives.

I am attempting to get my servlet - DataServ to work.  After fighting
various problems w/ classpaths and environment configurations, i finally
got stuck w/ the following error:

2000-12-18 05:18:05 - Ctx( /examples ): Exception in: R( /examples +
/servlet/DataServ + null) - java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.StringTokenizer.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.util.StringTokenizer.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at DataServ.service(Compiled Code)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Compiled
Code)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

Does the "R( /examples + /servlet/DataServ + null)" bit mean that DataServ
recieved no arguments from the http line?  i.e. what does null refer to?

I am trying to call this servlet as:

http://fqdn:8080/examples/servlet/DataServ?collection=hoagy&type=music&page=1&version=screen&id=ATM-MC2-1-2-9

Is this the correct syntax to send arguments to the servlet?  This is how
the system I inherited does it w/ jserv.

It seems to me, based on the errors generated - that the servlet is not
recieving the arguments it should be....

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

-john marquart