tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Quinn" <mqu...@myturn.com>
Subject RE: Sessions and absolute URLs
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:39:56 GMT
One way you can maintain the session is to create a java bean, and make it's
scope the session.
Then depending on your hardware, you should be able to maintain a 1.1
connection and retain session information.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sen, Puny [mailto:punyanjan.sen@softwareag.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 9:20 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Sessions and absolute URLs

Hi,

I've just recently joined the list so forgive me if this
topic has been discussed before.

I've been having the following experiences with sessions:

Links with absolute URLs do not retain the same session
(even if they refer to the same webapp). Relative URLs are
fine.

So if I have a link to a secure page from a non-secure page, then
I lose the session, beause I have to specify "https:" in the
link.

But this only happens on certain browsers. For example,
Internet Explorer 5 on Windows NT 4 works fine, but
Netscape 4.7 on Windows NT 4 does not.

Can this problem be solved through URL rewriting
(by wrapping the link in encodeURL()"?

Thanks,
Puna