tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Thompson <David.Thomp...@holistix.net>
Subject RE: a great problem with tomcat in linux whit the system memory
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:02:23 GMT
In sun's VM you can control this by modifying the maximum heap size for the
VM  with -Xmx256M for 256 megabytes. Then, your VM garbage collector will be
forced to free it up. Of course, if there is actually a memory problem with
dangling object references you will eventually get out of memory runtime
exceptions in Java.
dt

-----Original Message-----
From: Stubenrauch,Andreas [mailto:mex02@erv.de]
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 3:21 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: a great problem with tomcat in linux whit the system memory

This is the standard linux behaviour. If any application claims memory it is
taken from the free-pages. If the memory is not in use anymore it is not put
back to the amount of free memory (even if the application is shutdown).
Instead it is chached and freed on demand.

So don't worry here

Regards,
Andreas