tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Boaz Shaham <Bo...@farechase.com>
Subject RE: java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 09:40:27 GMT
We had the same problem, and we also increased these limits in the OS
(Linux).
However, it seems that the JVM (1.3 by SUN) has an internal limit of around
1024:
we created a program in c which opens FD as much as it can, and it reached
the limit specified by the OS. However, same program in java stops at 1016
(I guess it may use some FD of its own).

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Newton [mailto:Steven.Newton@Qsent.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2000 22:10
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: java.net.SocketException: Too many open files

Actually it's quite easy on linux 2.2.x kernels:

echo 32768 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max
increases the system limit on open files, and
ulimit -n 32768
increases the current process' limit.

See http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html#limits.filehandles
and the multiple terrific links to other information
from that page.