tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "CPC Livelink Admin" <cpclv...@fitzpatrick.cc>
Subject RE: Your thoughts on organizing multiple web apps
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 17:54:24 GMT

file that you think you will need, and not count on any system defaults.

Regards,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: George McKInney [mailto:george@tantalus.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 11:53 AM
To: 'tomcat user list'
Subject: Your thoughts on organizing multiple web apps

We've got a heterogeneous collection of internal applications running under
the same Tomcat installation, and have recently had some problems.

This collection has "evolved" and changed as we learn more about using
Tomcat, and the problem seems to be that some webapps (particularly the
earlier ones)  were installed with the .jar files they needed being put into
<TOMCAT_HOME>/lib and when another app (which required, for example, a
different version of some class) was installed with the .jars IT needed
going into WEB-INF/lib the .jars in <TOMCAT_HOME>/lib "shadowed" the classes
the new app needed.

General consensus here seems (in hindsight) to be that <TOMCAT_HOME>/lib is
***NOT*** the place to put .jar files UNLESS the Tomcat administrator can
ensure that every app that will be installed will be happy with them.
Otherwise, the webapp should keep the .jars it needs in its own WEB-INF/lib
even if that means some duplication of .jar files across the collection of
webapps.

Has anyone else had similar experiences, and what were your solutions?

Thanks,

George McKinney, Developer
tantalus communications inc.
500-1122 Mainland Street