tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Berry <pbe...@freestyleinteractive.com>
Subject Re: tomcat and internet explorer
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:15:51 GMT
on 12/9/00 11:42 AM, PerseP at persep@wanadoo.es wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just setup tomcat 3.2 on windows 98 and i've just discovered that when
> running tomcat without apache on I can see the index page of tomcat in
> Netscape (port 8080) but I can't see anything with Internet Explorer, I just
> get "Can't display page".
>
> Does tomcat need any special setting to make it run with Internet Explorer?.
>
> Thank you.

While the question has already been answered, the actual culprit is how IE
for win32 handles urls with a specified port number.  If you specify a port
number you must include the http:// prefix.  It's always a good idea to
anyway so you don't have to depend on the browser to provide the work around
and try and guess which protocol you want to use.

Pat