tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <randy.lay...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: Servlet error I can't seem to resolve
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:56:46 GMT

	If would seem that you are trying to put a null as either the key or
value into a Hashtable.  This is happening in the IridiumSendMail's sendIt
method.  Maybe a variable you expect to be in a session or application
object are not set?  Or some parameter file is not being loaded?

	Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Siegfreid [mailto:brad@iridiumdesign.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2000 11:21 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Servlet error I can't seem to resolve

I have a simple form handling servlet (FormEngineLight) that connects to a
email class (IridiumSendMail) that have been working with another host under
JServ 1.0b3. I moved to a new host with Tomcat 3.2 and also now have Tomcat
3.2 working on a local machine for testing. Now my servlet/class combo fails
to work in either location. They require mail.jar and activation.jar, which
are in the classpath (initially just in the context lib directory, now in
the locations that load at boot). My apps are compiled agains Java 1.18 but
are running on 1.2 for both local and hosted.

The stackTrace I get from FormEngineLight (emailed back using the
sun.net.smtp classes) is:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:381)
	at IridiumSendMail.sendIt(IridiumSendMail.java)
	at FormEngineLight.writeToIridiumSendMail(FormEngineLight.java)
	at FormEngineLight.sendConfirmation(FormEngineLight.java)
	at FormEngineLight.service(FormEngineLight.java)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:499)
	at
	at
onnectionHandler.java:160)
	at
)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Both of my files are in jars and reside in the lib directory. The
FormEngineLight servlet is accessible and sends me the error shown above.
Does the IridiumSendMail file have to be listed in the web.xml file even if
its not a servlet. If so, do I list it as if it were a servlet?

Thanks,
Brad Siegfreid
Iridiumdesign