tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tom Waite <twa...@eccoware.com>
Subject simple SSL question running Tomcat3.2 stand-alone
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 10:44:38 GMT

Should I be able to simply preface the URL with https: in order to access,
say, the tomcat index.html using SSL?  Put another way,
http://mymachine/index.html   works (I changed the port for http to 80 from
8080), but https://mymachine/index.html  fails with Tomcat's error msg
reading:  Ctx(   ):  IOException in: R( /) Socket closed
According to other docs I've read this should 'just work' .  What am I
missing here?

Details of installation:

I have installed tomcat 3.2 and followed the instructions provided by the
docs for placing the SSL jar files in the right places etc.  When I come to
gen a key, though I am told that RSA is an unknown algorithm.  Being outside
the US, I assumed I was forbidden from using RSA so generated the key
without specifying the keyalg.  Starting tomcat is no problem and on startup
it reports that it has a httpconnectionhandler on 443 (I changed the socket
from 8443) as I read 443 is the default for the browsers

Cheers,
--Tom