tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Maureen Fisher <m...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Your thoughts on organizing multiple web apps
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 17:49:37 GMT
give each developer a separate jvm and context;
give each jvm its own classpath;
give each application its own "webapps" directory and load app-specific jars in the WEB-INF.

For example, we provide a base directory with common jars (ie a customized mailer, security
services (we use kerberos) and vaious objects that make life easier). Some jars get updated
and are placed alongside the older versions in this directory.
Then using a classpath script that is called from the startup script the developer can pick
and choose what jars and what versions to use in creating the application. The app jars are
placed in the "webapps" directory are auto-loaded with each restart.
Each webapp has its own server.xml file and startup files. The developer can specify what
version jdk to use there too.

This has worked very well, and several people can develop on the same box without effecting
other's development efforts.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and this is best used in development only.
HTH...