tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat threads..
Date Sat, 23 Dec 2000 05:14:04 GMT
Endre StĂžlsvik wrote:

> I'm trying desperately to get tomcat to use only ONE thread. But I always
> seem to end up with 10 or so..
>
> I guess this is because of tomcat internals, but just how many threads
> does tomcat really need?

Tomcat needs one thread for each simultaneous request you want it to be able to
handle, plus a few assorted background threads (such as checking for expired
sessions).

Even if you modified Tomcat to use only one thread, you would be terribly
disappointed with the performance.  Consider that most browsers (by default)
will initiate multiple requests, even for a single user, to retrieve images on
that page.

> --
> Mvh,
> Endre