tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: J2EE & OpenEJB
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:18:13 GMT
dferugson wrote:

> I noticed a reference to tomcat on the openEJB site.
> Then I went to apache.org and notice that the latest build of tomcat is
> JNDI complient
> Will tomcat evolve into an application server or is it already read for
> this?

I personally do not see Tomcat evolving into a J2EE-type application server.
Rather, I think you'll see folks like JBoss, OpenEJB, Enhydra, etc. embedding
Tomcat as their web container.

This is the same approach that Sun used in the J2EE reference implementation --
version 1.2 includes a highly modified version of Tomcat 3.0, and version 1.3 is
going to include Tomcat 4.0.

> If tomcat is not going the direction of app server is anyone making use
> of OpenEJB?
> Anybody have experience with JBOSS?\
>
> Sorry for the slight tangent ;)
> --