tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Miller <dmil...@smart911.com>
Subject CLASSPATH precedence
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:19:40 GMT
Hi,

Two related questions regarding CLASSPATH precedence:

(A) If I place the same *.jar files (same names but different versions)
in both
                $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/WEBAPP_A/WEB-INF/lib
and in     $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/WEBAPP_B/WEB-INF/lib

does the version of the *.jar files in WEBAPP_A or in WEBAPP_B take
precedence? Or does it depend on which context I am in (i.e., which
webapp tomcat is running). How does tomcat figure out which version of
the *.jar files to use? Do classes loaded from one *.jar file get
unloaded if I am running in a different context?

(B) (similar question but for system *.jar files vs tomcat *.jar files):

If I place the same *.jar files (same names but different versions) in
both
                $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/WEBAPP_A/WEB-INF/lib
and in my system CLASSPATH

which version of the *.jar files take precedence when I am running ?

Any answers/information regarding these two questions is greatly
appreciated, especially ones which shed some light on how tomcat figures
out which version of classes to load. Thanks,

-David-