tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: servlet instance
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:53:20 GMT
Saikat Chatterjee wrote:

> Hello All,
>             I have a question regarding servlet instance.According to
> the new servlet specification, is it possible to get an instance of a
> servlet from another servlet?
>         Earlier it was done through calling the 'getServlet(String
> name)' function of the ServletContext class. But now, it has been
> deprecated.

It is not possible to get an instance of another servlet.  This has been true
since version 2.1 of the servlet spec, published a couple of years ago.

> ANy help in this matter is highly appreciated

Usually, people want to do this because they are using servlet instances for
something they were not designed for.  The most common case is that you are
using a servlet to contain shared utility methods, or to contain shared data.  A
better design is to consider using servlet context attributes for things that
need to be shared globally within your web application, or investigate the
Singleton design pattern and use statics.

> Saikat

Craig McClanahan