tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Clusters
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:27:09 GMT
Steve Haines wrote:

> Does Tomcat 3.2 support sharing sessions between clusters of Tomcats running
> in a web farm environment?

It depends on what you mean.  Tomcat 3.2 has "load balancing" support, when
running behind Apache, that is essentially equivalent to what Apache JServ had:
* When you are not in a session, requests are
  randomly handed out to the servers running this app.
* When you start a session, all future requests for that
  session are returned to the same server.
* No support for migrating a session from one server to
  a different one.

> The documentation spoke of plug-able session managers but gave very little
> help.
> If this is the only way, will Tomcat 4.0 support clustering??

It doesn't at the moment.  With Tomcat 4.0 essentially at feature freeze (we're
about to start doing betas), it won't happen in 4.0 -- but this is very high on
my list of desired features for 4.1.

Now all we need is for people to help build it ...

> Thanks in advance!
> Steve

View raw message