tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2 tries to read POST data before forwarding to JSP
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:34:14 GMT
Matt Goss wrote:

> Craig,
> I'm looking at using the MVC method for a current project... how exactly does
> struts benifit this framework?

Struts is an implementation of the MVC processing model, including a controller
servlet and a framework for defining actions, plus mechanisms for assigning logical
names to business and presentation logic components so that changes in the path of a
JSP page (for example) do not require changes to the application logic in your
actions.  There's also a very nice custom tag library for building internationalized
form-based web applications.

For more info, see <http://jakarta.apache.org/struts>, and join the STRUTS-USER
maililng list.

> just curious...
> Also (since, I've got you ear), I've tried a similar process under tomcat 3.1
> where I route all requests (ie<servlet-mapping><servlet-name>router</servlet-name>
> <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern></servlet-mapping>)through a router servlet
to check
> login and whatnot. I couldn't get it to work... is this a bug in 3.1??? We are
> upgrading to 3.2 now that it is released and I was hoping that would fix the
> problem...

If you map to "/*", your controller servlet will indeed catch all requests.  The
problem is that you won't be able to forward to a JSP page later -- because the "/*"
pattern will catch JSP pages also :-(.

What I like to do is map the controller servlet to an extension (my favorite is "*.do"
which implies "go do something").  Then, I can have a form submit that goes to a url
like:

    /myapp/saveCustomer.do

which will be sent to the controller servlet, which then figures out which action to
call based on the "/saveCustomer" part (which your servlet can extract by calling
getServletPath() and doing a little string processing), and things go on from there.

> thanks,
> Matt Goss

Craig