tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2 ClassCastException after servlet update on getAttribute
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 00:20:56 GMT
David Rees wrote:

> I also just tried this on Tomcat 3.2, same problem.
>
> Again, here's the problem:
>
> I have a form which posts to a jsp, which then instantiates a bean with the
> data from the form, which then forwards the request to a servlet which does
> a getAttribute to obtain then the bean data.  It then forwards on again to
> another jsp.
>
> The problem occurs during development:  Updating the servlet causes a
> ClassCastException.  Shutting down and restarting Tomcat makes the
> ClassCastException go away.
>
> This happens on Tomcat 3.1 and 3.2.  It does not happen on the Tomcat 4.0 m4
> build.
>
> Should I post this issue to the -dev list?  It seems like a Tomcat bug to
> me.

You can if you want ... but there are fundamental architectural problems to the
way that class reloading was done in 3.1 and 3.2.  It would be a pretty major
change to fix it.

Tomcat 4.0 uses a different strategy (pretty much based on what Apache JServ)
did that seems to deal with class reloading in a much more robust manner (and
with lower overhead).

> -Dave

Craig McClanahan