tomcat-users mailing list archives

From James Devenish <j-deven...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Upgraded to Tomcat 3.2: can't run JSPs
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:37:10 GMT
I upgraded to from Tomcat 3.1 to 3.2 last night (using the binary dist)
and now I cannot use my JSPs. I think it might even be worse than that.
I have two problems:

 - only files ending in .jsp are processed as JSPs
 - when accessing Tomcat and Cocoon pages via an Apache server,
   pages are output unprocessed as text/plain unless the web browser
   request URI received by Apache is literally the same as the
   Tomcat request URI to which it maps.

Both these problems have arisen simultaneously when I upgraded to Tomcat
3.2. The configuration files I am now using are merges of my custom 3.1
config and the distributed 3.2 config. I manually examined the resulting
config files and verified the validity of the resulting config (I hope).

It seems that now, no changes to any web.xml like:
<servlet-mapping>
	<servlet-name>
		jsp
	</servlet-name>
	<url-pattern>
		*.not.j.s.p
	</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

have any effect: the mapping is now effectively (for me) hard-coded as
.jsp

I've tried adding extra mapping and even removing the .jsp mapping. No
of this has any effect.

This means all my existing web sites are broken. I'm not a Tomcat
developer but I did get the src dist and went through and modified some
salient java sources (and recompiled and installed them) but none of my
changes have had any effect. I could not find this problem in the list
archives (I could find solutions for previous version of Tomcat, but
these don't work in Tomcat 3.2).

I couldn't see any upgrade notes in any dist or on the web site.

The second problem is like this (and applies to any resource, not just
JSP files):

If a client tries to access
	http://www.site/cocoon/a/b/c.xml
And there also exists a valid access
	http://www.site:8080/cocoon/a/b/c.xml
Then it all works as intended (and faster than under Tomcat 3.1)

However, if a client tries to access
	http://www.site/non-cocoon/c.xml
In order to access the resource
	http://www.site:8080/cocoon/a/b/c.ml
Then c.xml is output unprocessed as text/plain.

I have not changed my Apache config or changed my version of Cocoon. The
only change has been an upgrade to Tomcat 3.2

Any patches? Any hints on what I can patch?