tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Brainard" <jfbr...@twcny.rr.com>
Subject Class reloading...
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 02:54:10 GMT
Hey,

I have a slight problem and I'm not sure what it is.

It is my understanding that Tomcat is supposed to re-load classes when they've been changed,
but that isn't what I am getting. There are a few possible factors that I believe might be
preventing this from happening.

What I am doing is writing a web application that involves servlets, tags and beans. I haven't
experienced any problems with the servlet, but I am having difficulty with the beans and the
tags.

My system is set up as follows:

I have 2 computers. One that is my file server and web-server. I am running the latest Beta
release of Tomcat ( I haven't downloaded the latest release version yet), Apache and Samba.
Most of my work is done on my other machine which is Windows NT and Linux via samba shares.
The class reloading has posed the largest problem today when working with Linux on my second
machine. I can't count the number of times I had to restart Tomcat to get classes reloaded.
I don't believe this has anything to do with the fact that I was using Linux on my second
machine, but it's quite possible that it is. I've noticed that if I don't touch JSP pages
directly on my web-server, they get compiled every time they are requested.

I have noticed in the past, while watching the output from Tomcat, that it reloads classes
(mainly beans, for I've just begun with Tags). This is the configuration for the web-application
I am working on in my servlet.xml file:

 <Context path="/links" docBase="webapps/links" debug="1" reloadable="true"/>

If anyone has encountered this problem and either has been able to solve it, or has narrowed
it down to a few causes, could you please offer some assistance?

Thank you in advance for any insight that is provided.

John Brainard
jfbrain@twcny.rr.com