Dear all,

I am quite new to Tomcat and decided to try out Tomcat recently.  I downloaded the release build and got built tomcat according to the recomended scripts in the readme file. However after building tomcat when I tried to start up tomcat I get the error at the end of this email.  I tried to change the port number however it didn't work as well.

I hope that I am not asking a obvious question because I have tried changing the port number and probing around the server.xml file.  And still I couldn't find anything at all.

Hope you guys can help me.

Best Regards,

Kok Fong

<JASPER_LOG> Thu Nov 09 16:51:16 CST 2000 The scratchDir you specified: /home/ja
mmer/jakarta_home/build/tomcat/work/localhost_8080%2Ftest is unusable.</JASPER_L

Context log path="/test" :default: init
Context log path="" :tomcat.errorPage: init
Context log path="" :jsp: init
<JASPER_LOG> Thu Nov 09 16:51:16 CST 2000 The scratchDir you specified: /home/ja
mmer/jakarta_home/build/tomcat/work/localhost_8080 is unusable.</JASPER_LOG>
FATAL:java.net.BindException: Address already in use
java.net.BindException: Address already in use
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:386)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:169)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:120)
        at org.apache.tomcat.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(Default
ServerSocketFactory.java:97)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(SimpleTcpEn
dpoint.java:186)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector
.java:142)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(ContextManager.java:253)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:157)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)
Kok Fong
Asiaship.Com Pte Ltd
491B Rivervalley Road
#14-03 Valley Point