tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ivan E. Markovic" <i...@sculptlight.com>
Subject monitoring memory in Tomcat
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2000 02:21:37 GMT
Another question, probably a silly one; but it has to be asked...

I am having problems tracking memory usage in Tomcat. I am running
Tomcat behind Apache, behind a very restrictive Firewall and I need
to be able to profile my Servlets in some way as they run inside
Tomcat.

I seem to be eating memory somewhere and it's not being garbage
collected. For some reason I am getting Out of Memory Errors. I have
included one below:

Context log: path="/servlets/VS" Error in RPDFConfirmServlet service() : null
  java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

But there is plenty of memory available on the Netra T1 (running Sun
Solaris); I have about 300MB free! Yet Tomcat sits in 21MB of memory
and seems not to want to take much more! Uggghh.

So two questions really.

1) How can I encourage or unfetter Tomcat so that it will allocate
itself more memory for my Java process (what is the restriction and
where is it handled).

2) Is there any kind of memory profiler that will allow me to
monitor, in detail, the Java VM under Tomcat. I am running a simple
Telnet client over SSH.

Thank you. I hope someone will be able to help.

I v a n ...
Ivan Markovic
SculptLight
http://www.sculptlight.com