tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Spreitzer/Watson/IBM" <mspre...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Connection reset by peer on image rollover
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:47:19 GMT
I've also been having problems in Tomcat 3.1 with mouse rollovers.  Is
that a known issue in 3.1?  If so, I'm sorry I missed it.  If not, read
on...

I noticed the problem when I was using IE 5, with its caching policy set
to check on every usage.  With a less frequent setting, the images get
cached once and there's no problem.  But with the high-frequency setting,
IE fetches the image anew on every rollover (I'm using Tomcat standalone,
and 3.1 never emits anything to indicate that anything is cacheable, as
far as I can tell).

I could do a lot of rolling over.  But eventually I'd get the following
printed to stdout/stderr from Tomcat:

java.net.SocketException: A connection is ended by software.
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:423)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:191)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:174)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:267)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.acceptConnections(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:248)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpListenerThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:319)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8085] shutdown
due to exception: java.net.SocketException: A connection is ended by
software.

and then Tomcat would be wedged --- no clients would ever make any more
progress.