tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject Re: AW: Need database recommendation
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:29:28 GMT

I reccomend IMS, but if your budget is under 4 Million, I'd go with DB2
UDB. You can get
the Personal Edition for free from

I have been using DB2 with Tomcat and JServ for about a year and a half and
have been very satisfied.

Another option not mentioned is PostgreSQL. Available here:
I have used PostgreSQL with PHP in the past. I'm sure that there is a JDBC
driver available too.

Raimee Stevens
DB2 UDB NLV Team - IBM Toronto Lab

Phone: (416)448-3706   T/L 778-3706  Fax: (416)448-4414

Ralph Einfeldt <> on 11/24/2000 02:58:10 PM

Please respond to

To:   "''" <>
Subject:  AW: Need database recommendation

The answer depends on your requirements:
- do you need
     sub selects
     outer joins (which versions)
- whats are the requirements in terms of
     reliability (redundancy)
     scalability (performance, datavolume)
- whats is your budget

Some of our expiriences
    The last time we checked, transactions (or
    to be more precise the interface to berkley
    db) was alpha. I think this will take some
    time to become a stable release. It is not
    clear what this mean to the performance,
    because I don't know any result with this
    No views. I like to use views to hide some
    complexities of the underlying db model.
    No subselects. This is a very bad thing
    for delete. You have do implement loops
    where you normaly use sub selects.
  Sybase ASA
    Cheapest full featered commercial RDBMS
    for web applications.
    Blobs are just 32K in the current release
    (Although the documentation says something
    Quite expensive.
    Never the less the db I made the best
    experiences with.
    Some nasty bugs with outer joins