tomcat-users mailing list archives

From saur...@cysphere.com (Saurabh Shukla)
Subject RE: Is Tomcat/Apache combo necessary?
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:43:10 GMT
Apache tomcat combi depends on how many html files you have, the amount of
traffic you
will be getting etc..

YOu can put them in a separate directory and specify the document root.
they both(apache and tomcat) will look for files in that directory.

Shuklix

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Becker [mailto:mbecker@mythicwave.com]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 9:47 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Is Tomcat/Apache combo necessary?

I need to write an JSP web application and so far have been going the route
of configuring Tomcat and Apache to work together. Two things come to my
mind to ask:

    1. Is the Tomcat/Apache combination really necessary? This web site is
going to be pretty much all JSP. I know that Tomcat can do the serving on
it's own, but I've read stuff saying that it's not so good at serving static
files and so forth. How would it benefit a JSP web application by me setting
up the Tomcat/Apache combination?

    2. I'm not sure if the actual files of the JSP web application would
reside in the Tomcat directory, or would they be split in-between Tomcat and
Apache, where JSP files would be on the Tomcat side and html files and
content on Apache?

I would greatly appreciate any input on this!

Thanks!

Matt