tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Molloy" <mollo...@eeng.dcu.ie>
Subject RE: reloading..
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:20:29 GMT
Hi,

	I have something similar in place but it's working pretty much.
Set up one web application area with all your database classes,
ConnectionPool etc.  Make this area non-class reloadable and put
a load-on-startup on the pool.  Now assuming you make static references
to the ConnectionPool then you can reference it from other web
applications.  All the while you can develop in these applications
with class reloading enabled (as you are not directly affecting
your connection pool anymore) and it should work....

I was very happy when I got this all working but as it happens I still
need to restart Tomcat after I make changes.  You'll find if you use
sessions to store classes (in my case I store the User class in a
session variable called theUser) there seems to be a problem with
reloading.  If anyone has anything to add to this I'd be grateful
but I'd asked it before.  Seemingly when you cause a class reload
the classes reload but the sessions don't invalidate - so when you
do a req.getSession(true) you'll find that it grabs the old one and
when you try to grab theUser it will give a ClassCastException.
As another person commented before - it seems like a feature but
it's more like a bug.

Dave