tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Craig Richardson <crichard...@axent.com>
Subject RE: Using SSL CA certificates
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:44:47 GMT
"Lacerda, Wellington (AFIS)" wrote:

> How can I use a C.A. real certificate with Tomcat SSL ? I want to add a
test
> certificate from Verisign.
> Can you explain that with some detail, please ?

Craig McClanahan replied:

> The detailed steps are documented in comments in the
> "conf/server.xml" file for whichever version of Tomcat
> you are using (3.2 or 4.0 only -- 3.1 doesn't support SSL).

I've read the comments in server.xml, but there just wasn't enough
information there to answer all of my questions. The documentation in
server.xml contains just a few sentences, so I don't think anyone will mind
if I quote all of it here:

    Uncomment this for SSL support.
    You _need_ to set up a server certificate if you want this
    to work, and you need JSSE.
    1. Add JSSE jars to CLASSPATH
    2. Edit java.home/jre/lib/security/java.security
       Add:
       security.provider.2=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
    3. Do: keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
       RSA is essential to work with Netscape and IIS.
       Use "changeit" as password. ( or add keypass attribute )
       You don't need to sign the certificate.

       You can set parameter keystore and keypass if you want
       to change the default ( user.home/.keystore with changeit )

The description of step 2 isn't quite accurate. You do need to add the JSSE
security provider to the list, but it doesn't have to be the second entry.
For example, here is the relevant section from my own copy of java.security:

    security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
    security.provider.2=com.sun.rsajca.Provider
    security.provider.3=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider

I also had trouble with step 3. It may be worth noting that keytool will ask
for your first and last name. Because you are trying to create a server
certificate, and not a personal certificate, I believe you should ignore
this and substitute the fully qualified DNS name of your web server.

It's true that you don't need to sign the certificate that this keytool
command will generate, because it's already a self-signed certificate.
However, no client's browser ought to trust a self-signed server
certificate. In order to get SSL to work properly, you'd want to replace
this self-signed certificate with a proper server certificate that has been
signed by a trusted CA.

Clearly the first step would be to generate a certificate request. Here I
ran into a second problem. My version of keytool won't generate a
certificate request if the subject's distinguished name contains any quoted
strings. When I generated my server key pair, I had included a comma in the
organization name. This caused a quoted string to be inserted into the
distinguished name, and as a result keytool gave the following error:

    keytool error: java.io.IOException: AVA parse, quoted stirngs NYI

In order to get keytool to work properly, I had to create a new key pair.
This time I entered an organization name that didn't include that pesky
comma, and keytool worked properly.

Now we come to the part of this procedure that I still don't completely
understand. Once the CA issues a server certificate, I believe I use keytool
-import to install it, replacing the existing self-signed certificate.
However, I'm not quite sure how to correctly install the CA's root
certificate, and convince Tomcat to pass it along to the client with my
server certificate.

I tried to figure out how Tomcat actually locates the server key pair and
the corresponding X.509 certificate, but so far I haven't managed to locate
the relevant source code. Does Tomcat and/or JSSE use the "tomcat" alias to
locate the correct certificate? Or does it simply look for a certificate
with the correct common name (which in this case would be the
fully-qualified DNS name of the server)?

And how does Tomcat/JSSE generate the certificate trust chain? Does it
simply search the keystore for certificates that have the correct
distinguished names?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Craig Richardson