tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Raghu Havaldar <rhaval...@objectspace.com>
Subject RE: jar's still not picked up in WEB-INF/lib
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 15:42:02 GMT
I think u misread me a bit.

I would NOT recommend putting them under $TOMCAT/lib.
However, their right place is (as the doc suggests) in
$TOMCAT/webapps/APP/web-inf/lib.

I have not yet looked at load-balancing issues. But, they
are another beast (for upgrades and such).

-raghu

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Pfeiffer [mailto:wsplist1@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 9:28 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: jar's still not picked up in WEB-INF/lib

Aside from the fact that it does not work in certain situations, why would
you think it is not a good idea to put your app specific libs under the
WEB-INF\lib directory.

The spec says to do it.  It allows for good application orginization.  What
would be your arguments against it?

Actually I can think of one argument against it, and that is that by
including your libs in the classpath instead, you can control the order of
the classpath.  It appears that using the libs directory would allow for
random ordering (based on OS directory ordering) of these libs.  Also, I
need to include zip files and these don't get picked up anyway.  Maybe using
the classpath is the way to go.

Bill Pfeiffer