tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "CPC Livelink Admin" <cpclv...@fitzpatrick.cc>
Subject RE: Using Jasper for template processing?
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:38:18 GMT

Remember, Servlets are not necessarily HTTP beasts.  The servlet spec (from
my perusal) specifically leaves open what kind of environment the servlet
will live in.  This is why there are specific HTTP extentions of the base
servlet classes.  Now, that being said, I don't know of any other way to use
the servlets except in a web environment. But, being able to do what JG
wants can be useful - for instance, to periodically dump a formatted report
to a static file, so that daily reports are available and can be processed
during system off peak hours.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Smith [mailto:sat-guru@home.com]
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 03:25 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Using Jasper for template processing?

Hi Jaroslav,

I already make use of user-defined JSP templates on my site
http://www.zzpost.com/. The
webapp runs a user-defined JSP  then uploads the output to the users own
website.

The question you need to ask is, for what reason would you take the time and
trouble to "decouple" servlets from http? That is a lot of work for nothing
IMHO.

Just create your system so that it is web-based and you'll be fine.

Dave