tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Burgess, Jay" <jburg...@digarch.com>
Subject RE: non-cookie session tracking?
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:04:30 GMT
Another option, assuming you know ahead of time which URLs on a page should
have the session ID propagated, would be to use Javascript to grab the
session ID off of the current page's URL, add it to the new page's URL, and
then ask for the new page.

For example, each URL on your static HTML page can be changed as follows:

(old)

(new)

The addSessionID() function can grab the sessionID value from the current
URL, append it to the page name passed into the function, and then set
"location" to the new URL.

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: CPC Livelink Admin [mailto:cpclvlnk@fitzpatrick.cc]
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 11:04 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: non-cookie session tracking?

That's the problem with not using cookies.  Since (in most cases) you will
be using tomcat in conjunction with some other web server (tomcats limited
web server is not sufficient for heavy use), the web server will directly
serve your static pages - tomcat will never see them. If you need to track a
session across a link to static pages, then you need to make those pages
dynamic and turn on URL rewriting in your dynamic code.

Also, note that automatic rewriting is not a good idea in general.  How does
tomcat know which URLs to rewrite, and which ones not to? For instance, if
your static pages refer to http://www.slashdot.org you probably don't want
any rewrite to occur there.

You may need to look at using an invisible (or very small) frame to enclose
the static page requests inside of a small JSP/servlet to maintain your
state.  While I haven't thought it through completely, you may be able to
use some tricky URL magic (like mod_rewrite I thnk on apache) to make your
static links autmagically come through your JSP wrapper, which maintains the
app state. WOuld probably be easier if all your static pages use relative
links.  Hmmm

Hope this helps,
Paul