tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert A. Lentz" <rale...@ralentz.com>
Subject Re: ClassCastException
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2000 02:07:57 GMT
Greetings,

I have just struggled with the dreaded ClassCastException and servlet
re-loading... after pulling my hair out for a little while I made my way to
the mailing list archives and found that this is currently expected behavior.

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about class loaders...

given that, I will mention that one thing I tried was to create a dummy
class member of the type that was the cast that was causing the exception,
with the idea of ensuring that the class was already loaded.  Not even this
worked.  Is this just functionality that has not yet been engineered or the
way that class loaders are supposed to work?

Perhaps this exception can be caught at some point and a custom exception
created which includes a mention in the message to the appropriate FAQ
entry? :-)

(By the way, it seems to me that several Jakarta projects (Tomcat and ant
are two of which I am aware) are implementing class loaders, perhaps
resources can be pooled?)

I'm not yet on the mailing list due to traffic, please ensure I receive a
copy of any response.

Thank you,
-Robert

--
ralentz@erols.com
  "It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life