tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Suzio" <msu...@iss.net>
Subject Re: Making Tomcat start first
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:08:15 GMT
Matt Becker wrote:
> I was wondering if there
> was a way to modify Linux so that Tomcat started first when my machine
> starts up?

Yes.

Oh, you want to know how? :-).

OK, this has pretty much nothing to do with Tomcat or Apache in
particular...  the order in which services start up is determined
by the files in /etc/rc.d/rc{2,3}.d/.  For RedHat, you'll already have
an entry in /etc/rc.d/init.d for apache (I think it's
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd?).  Then there are entries in the rc2.d and rc3.d
directories that are symlinks to that file.  Notice that the symlinks
have numbers in the name?  Something like S99httpd?  Services are
started in the order of those numbers... so just make sure the symlink
to the Tomcat startup script has a number *lower* than the number for
Apache.

--
Michael J. Suzio
Lead Software Engineer -- ISS Southfield