tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Michael G. Anderson C.T.O" <RIEMANN...@home.com>
Subject Re: Need database recommendation
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2000 02:34:47 GMT
Cathy,

Probably Oracle 8.1.6 (8.1.5 = 8i was a little buggy) -- There are others as well...e.g.
some of my best friends swear by Informix, Sybase et.al.
There is also Poet (haven't heard that much from them lately..) and some of the other
OODs.

I believe all Database Companies are tending towards OOD.

One reason for (me personally) choosing Oracle is that, and this may just be a rumor,
Oracle is developed on Sun OS (Solaris). (The claim is that Larry Ellison and Scott M
were each others "best man" at their respective weddings). This just may be "modern
folklore" however...:(
But if its true, Oracle developed on Sun OS, then, choosing Oracle would make sense.

On the other hand Oracle (and perhaps the other Database Companies) look to be committed
to Linux and (NT) so PL/SQL, Java -- should not be a "porting issue". Oracle "dmp" files
(if export full) can be pretty much easily imported to other Oracles on other
platforms... But again any other "industrial strength database" should be able to do that
as well.

I hope this helps,

regards,

mike anderson