tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Help Needed
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:10:41 GMT
"Ramesh Kumar . T" wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I had previously seen some
> xml tags in earlier versions of tomcat (I do not remember the version)
> something like
> <jsp:scriptlet>
> </jsp:scriptlet>
> (but this does not work right now )
>
> instead of the
> <%
> %>
> tags
>
>                   Is the Xml  format going to be a standard or some
> thing?????
> can somebody  exaplain this

The <jsp:scriptlet> and other similar tags are used in the "XML view" of a JSP
page.  This syntax was optional in JSP 1.1 (and is not supported by Tomcat 3.x),
but is required by JSP 1.2 (and is supported by Tomcat 4.0).  Some syntax
details have changed between 1.1 and 1.2 -- you will want to download the JSP
1.2 spec from:

    http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/download.html

to see all the gory details.

> I would appreciate any links to Model2 architecture  described by sun
> and links for writing tag libraries

One place to start on architectures is the Struts project at

    http://jakarta.apache.org/struts

There are also many useful links about tag libraries (including a tutorial) at:

    http://java.sun.com/products/jsp

> One more thing I just tried Tomcat4.0 beta .
> What is this catalina???

> I Could not find any documents describing  the architecture of tomcat .
> Can anyone give me some pointers???

For Tomcat 4.0, the source distribution has a few documents and diagrams in the
"catalina/docs/dev" directory.

> Thanks
> Ramesh

Craig McClanahan