tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Session timeout
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:20:23 GMT
"Ivan E. Markovic" wrote:

> Quick question. How long are sessions inside Apache/Tomcat valid for?
> In all the Servlet documentation I have it is stated that session
> duration is server specific. So I checked the Tomcat and Apache docs
> and could find no indicator as to what that duration was. Anyone able
> to enlighten me?

You can set the default timeout in your web.xml file, using the <session-config>
element (see the spec, or one of the books or articles that talk about the
web.xml format).

If you do not specify it, Tomcat defaults to 30 minutes.

Note that you can also change the timeout on a session dynamically, by calling
the session.setMaxInactiveInterval() method.

> I v a n ...

Craig McClanahan