tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Blasnik <ch.blas...@netway.at>
Subject RE: workers - loadbalancing
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:29:34 GMT
first off, thanks for all the replies and sorry for responding 2 days
too late :-)

Alistair Hopkins:

>A guess,
>
>but do green threads show up in your monitoring?
>
>if sun uses green by default, but blackdown uses native, you may not see the
>green as they are internal.
>
>Al.

Indeed you are right. the SUN jdk uses the green threads!
i just wonder if there is any difference in speed, whether green or
native threads are used ? unfortunately my _very_ limited knowledge of
java, respectively my knowledge of how the JDK works ends here :-)
(btw, this is kind of off-topic, but is there any site that compares the
speed of the different JVMs from the various developers ?)

David Oxley wrote:

>I believe the worker.ajp13.lbfactor parameter is only the priority of this
>worker (not the number of processes).
>You must start your own processes
>seperatley as in virtual hosting and set up your
>worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers to point at the various workers you
>have set up. You must then swap your config in mod_jk.conf from using ajp13
>or ajp12 to use lb.

i do have a setup like this (currently experimenting with multiple
tomcats), but how does one calculate the right settings for the
lbfactor?
or are, for example, these settings sufficient:
ServerA (slow):  1
ServerB (fast):  2
ServerC (light-speed): 3

One more question i wanted to ask:
if i have a setup with like 100 virtual hosts on one machine, and tomcat
on the same server, is it a good idea to set up more than one tomcat for
these hosts ?
i thought about the following:
100 hosts - 4 tomcats - each tomcat responsible for 25 virtual hosts
or another scenario:
100 hosts - 2 tomcats - each tomcat responsible for 50 hosts

my thoughts behind all this are, that, if one tomcat dies by whatever
reason, there would still be another one left to serve the remaining
host, in order to guarantee at least some functionality in an
environment without any loadbalancing software / hardware.

regards,

christopher blasnik
mailto:ch.blasnik@netway.at