tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Choe <choep...@mindspring.com>
Subject out.write() method
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:44:03 GMT
i am writing a web based mail client in jsp.  i have tomcat3.2 running
on a freebsd machine.

i am using java mail package and have managed to connect to the pop
server and get a list of the unread mail.  but when i try to view mail
that is just plain text something strange happens.

the message is just printed out without some return carriages.

example:

 Hi, one more question:) THe PrintWriter class has both write and print
method. THe one i saw in your notes is the print method. What's the
difference between the two methods? thanks, Ge Sun >From: Peter Choe
>To: "GE SUN" >Subject: Re: CIS9771 MW6--SemiColon?? >Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:18:57
-0500 > >i have found that not using the semicolon works on most databases. the >only
thing i can say is >that with the database try it without the semicolon. if you get a >sqlexception,
try it with the semicolon. > >but i think that in general you don't need the semicolon
because the JDBC >driver should translate the SQL >statement to the appropriate format
for the database. > >as for my example, it is a typographical error. it should be: >
>stmt.executeUpdate("UPDATE coffee_bean SET price=10.99"+"WHERE bean='FRENCH >ROAST'");
> >peter choe > > >At 10:46 PM 10/29/00 +0000, you wrote: > >>Prof
Choe, >>While reading JDBC short course, text book, and your notes for this >>section,
i was confused of the use of semicolon inside a query. Some of >>the statements included
the semicolon at the end of sql statement, some >>didn't. >>For example: >>1
the one with semicolon: >>ResultSet rs=stmt.executeQuery("SELECT programmer, cups FROM
JoltData >>ORDED BY cups DESC;"); >>2. the one without semicolon: >>ResultSet
rs=stmt.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM Books"); >>When do we need to include the semicolon,
or the semicolon doesn't >>matter??? >> >>My other question is also about
the syntax. >>In your JDBC note, you wrote one statement as follows: >>stmt.excuteUpdate("UPDATE
coffee_bean SET price=10.99" + WHERE bean= >>"FRENCH ROAST"); >>I thought the
"WHERE bean= " should also be quoted since it is a part of >>the sql commend. >>But
i don't know how to fix this, should it be: >>stmt. executeUpdate("UPDATE coffee_bean
SET >>price=10.99"+ "WHERE bean=\"FRENCH ROAST\""); >>or >>stmt.executeUpdate("UPDATE