tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Blasnik <ch.blas...@netway.at>
Subject workers - loadbalancing
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:10:54 GMT
Hi,

I am currently working on a virtual hosting solution for JSPs / Java
Servlets for my company
fyi: i am using redhat 6.2, tomcat 3.2 beta6 (eagerly awaiting the final
3.2) and the SUN JDK 1.2.2 as the platform for all of this

i am doing all fine configuring virtual hosts and i think i have
(almost) all security issues covered;

the one thing that confuses me about tomcat and / or the JDK i use is
the following:

isn't tomcat supposed to spawn more than one process when configuring
the
worker.ajp13.lbfactor=10 for example ? or did i misunderstand the
(rather scarce :-) documentation ?
somehow i think that this depends on the JDK that is used:
in the beginning, when i was still experimenting with (apache)jserv and
different java servlets, i used blackdown's jdk 1.2.2, and every time i
restarted apache and therefore the servlet engine / container, at least
4 or more java processes were spawned
but using the same configuration and instead of JDK from blackdown using
SUN's java development kit, only one! process was spawned from the
start! - the same now with tomcat (although i havent tried it with any
other JDK than SUN's yet, i must admit)

Or did i misunderstand the whole issue, and the loadbalancing is done in
some other way ?

I hope someone can shed some light on this!

signing confused-and-hopefully-not-sounding-too-newbieish,

christopher blasnik
mailto:ch.blasnik@netway.at