tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: One servlet or multiple servlets?
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:34:52 GMT
Simon Lam wrote:

> Dear Simon Lam,
>
> Hi!
>         I have some functions than can be implemented by one single servlet or multiple
servlets. I wonder which method to choose because servlet is like a service on the server
side. How will the number of deployed servlets affects the performance of Tomcat?
>         Thanks in advance.

The number of servlets you use makes little or no difference in performance, but can have
substantial impact on how maintainable and expandable your application is.  I would suggest
that you look at some of the web application frameworks that have become
available (such as Struts at <http://jakarta.apache.org/struts>), and review discussions
of MVC or "Model 2" architectures in the archives of this list, as well as JSP-INTEREST and
SERVLET-INTEREST at the java.sun.com web site.

> Regards,                 Z
> Simon Lam               Z
>                m(_ _)m

Craig McClanahan