tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: question about RequestDispatcher.forward() in tomcat
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 00:29:54 GMT
What I do in the Struts framework <>,
which implements the MVC pattern you are talking about, is map a
different extension for the logical actions (normally, these will be the
values you use for hyperlinks and form submits).  I like to use "*.do"
because it implies "go do something".

That way, I leave the mappings for the JSP pages set to the JSP servlet,
as it normally is.

Craig McClanahan

"Chen, Kevin" wrote:

> I am trying to implement a MVC system. the controller
> will intercept all request for .jsp page, then forward
> it to the jsp page after some checking.
> I am using TOMCAT to run the servlet. and using
> extension rul mapping, i.e.:(in web.xml)
>     <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name> controller </servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern> *.jsp </url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
> My test controller just forward the page to another jsp page,
> the code looks like:
>     RequestDispatcher dis;
>     dis=getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/index.jsp");
>     dis.forward (req, res);
>     //dis.include (req, res);
> the problem with above approach is that, my controller will
> intercept the index.jsp too. which will cause the page cannot
> be displayed. looks like the servlet container resend the
> index.jsp page to me again and again.
> Is there anyway around it?
> Appreciate any help.
> kevin