tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Bussenschutt <D.Bussensch...@mailbox.gu.edu.au>
Subject Q's: running tomcat as 'nobody', and thousands of servlet context entries
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 03:31:09 GMT
Hi All,

I've read the tomcat-apache howto at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/tomcat-apache-howto.
html
(and also the users-guide, the mod_jk howto, the list archives etc etc.)

I have installed: linux 2.2.14 ; apache 1.3.12 (mod_ssl & php4  & mod_so
statically linked; mod_jk, etc etc dyn. linked); tomcat 3.2beta8 (milestone
release) ; mod_jk compiled and installed

QUESTION 1.

When I run tomcat as 'nobody' as suggested in the above howto document, I
was initially getting all sorts of problems with 'nobody' not having
permission to write the log files etc, but with that all fixed, I now get
the following jsp errors from tomcat on startup:
cannot load servlet name: jsp
cannot load servlet name: jsp
cannot load
servlet name:
jsp

but it doesn't seem to prevent the example jsp and servlets from working
(once the log file permissions are fixed) ... what does it mean?

When I run tomcat as 'root' these problems don't exist, and the jsp and
servlet examples run fine.

So, can you give me any hints as to what the problem might be?

QUESTION 2.

I have another server I wish to install this on, and it has about 3500
users (students) that will all be wanting to use servlets/jsp in their
projects.  They all get http://localhost/~username/ access to their pages,
and also get cgi access through a global apache directive of :
ScriptAliasMatch ^/([^/]+)-bin(.*) /home/$1/cgi-bin$2
which allows cgi's within their own ~username space.
(seen as http://localhost/~username-bin/ and available in the file
heirarchy as ~username/cgi-bin/ )

How do I go about giving them access to run servlets from their ~username
space?  eg:
(seen as http://localhost/~username-servlet/ and available in their own
home as ~username/servlet/ ??? )
It's not practical to create 3500 Context entries into the server.xml, one
for each user, so how might I go about this?

Also, How do I go about giving them access to run jsp from their username
space?
Is it as simple as adding a directive somewhere saying that all *.jsp files
are redirected to the JVM? If so I must have mussed that in the
documentation somewhere...?

Thanks,

David.

P.S. These might be good questions to add to your original 'apache-tomcat'
howto, or to a FAQ someplace, assuming you have an answer... ;-)

David Bussenschutt          Email: D.Bussenschutt@mailbox.gu.edu.au
Senior Computing Support Officer & Systems Administrator/Programmer
Location: Griffith University. Information Technology Services
          Brisbane Qld. Aust.  (TEN bldg. rm 1.33) Ph: (07)38757079