tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsal...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: precompilations
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:50:40 GMT
On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 06:34:01AM -0600, Michael H. La Budde wrote:
> At 11/23/2000 09:29 AM +0100, you wrote:
> >Is Possible the tomcat precompile the pages?
> >there is any precompilation mode?
> >there is anything to precompile?
>
> Here are two possibilities for precompiling all your jsp pages so that
> users won't have to incur that overhead:
>
> 1) Take a look at conf/test-tomcat.xml in your tomcat distribution. This is
> an ant build file which is used to exercize the test context. You should be
> able to easily clone this to execute your own...
>
> 2) Download Apache JMeter and put together the necessary test scenarios to
> run your app (thus, once again, precompiling your pages).

Hi,

	I have observed the following under Tomcat 3.2b8/Sun JDK 1.2.2_06, with
our application under simulated load of 50 users registering:

	Unless the registration .jsp's are already compiled into classes (by
manually going through a registration first), Tomcat starts giving 500
errors about a minute or two into the run.

	If we go through a registration manually first, and then start the
load test, it runs just fine.

	I've figured out how to use "tomcat.sh jspc" to populate the
context's work directory with .java files, but I can't just turn on
Tomcat and let ant or JMeter PLUS the user load kill the server; and
I don't understand the naming scheme algorithm used to generate the
*.class files in the work directory.

	Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Aleksey

P.S. BTW, Tomcat 3.2b8 FAR FAR outperforms Tomcat 3.1, in terms
of stability under load.  Fantastic!  Kudos to the developers.