tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Kukulies <k...@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Subject Re: some jsp examples fail with Error 500
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:08:26 GMT
Interestingly I found this answer only in the archive but not (yet)
in my mail. Anyway, I searched further and found that tomcat issues the
following error:

Unhandled error! You might want to consider having an error page to report such errors more
gracefully
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jasper/compiler/JavaCompiler
        at org.apache.jasper.JspEngineContext.createCompiler(JspEngineContext.java:293)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:410)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspServlet.java:149)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:161)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:369)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:503)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Co

This can be found several times in the archives and in many cases
tools.jar is the answer.

I located tools.jar in my system only in /usr/local/jdk1.2/lib
ans since I'm using jdk1.1.8 I was not worrying about it. I now put
tools.jar explicitly in my CLASSPATH but things still do not
work.

Same error message (as above).

Now you write I should include jasper.jar in my classpath. Hmm. Surely
an important piece, that jasper.jar but locate jasper.jar
doesn't give me any hit. Strange. Did I ever compile it during tomcat ant
installation? I'm not sure now. How can I generate jasper.jar separately?

Thanks for helping.