tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wyn Easton <wyn_eas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Please Look - 3.2 beta 7 problem - RequestDispatcher include()
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:24:06 GMT
Are you not suppose to mix URL access with a RequestDispatcher?
Thanks.

Also, in 3.2 beta 6 I could do an include() then a forward().
Now in 3.2 beta 7 I get an illegalState error on the forward()
because of an open outputstream.  I'm not opening an output stream.
The include() must be doing it.

--- Wyn Easton <wyn_easton@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm having this problem on 3.2 beta 7
>
> The exact text of the  exception is:
>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Short Read
>
> This Exception is being generated in HttpUtils.java in the
> parsePostData() method.
>
> Here is what is happening:
>
> I'm opening a HttpURLConnection to servlet_A that has been set to use
> the POST method by calling setRequestMethod("POST") for the
> HttpURLConnection. In servlet_A I get a ServletInputStream and
> read from the HttpURLConnection.
> I then get an ServletOutputStream from the response.
> I then get a RequestDispatcher for servlet_B.
> When I call the include() method I get the exception mentioned
> because parsePostData() in HttpUtils tries to read "len" number
> of bytes from the ServletInputStream "in" and there is nothing
> to read. I changed parsePostData() in HttpUtils to return an
> empty Hashtable for this case and it worked fine.
> (Maybe this is how this should work since nothing read means no
> parameters in the POST data. Even if the len is greater than 0.)
>
> However, if I try to use the ServletOutputStream after returning
> to servlet_A from servlet_B nothing is written to the original
> HttpURLConnection.  I don't know if the ServletOutputStream is
> being closed when I return from the include(). I don't get an
> Exception when writing to the ServletOutputStream. I just don't
> get any data at the listening end of the HttpURLConnection.
>
> I'm going to modify my code to use the include() instead of
> the HttpURLConnection, but shouldn't it work either way?
>
> Thanks.
>

> =====
> Wyn Easton
> wyn_easton@yahoo.com

> Yahoo! Calendar - Get organized for the holidays!
> http://calendar.yahoo.com/

=====
Wyn Easton
wyn_easton@yahoo.com