tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joe Emenaker" <...@emenaker.com>
Subject Re: Why run multiple tomcats?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2000 22:14:53 GMT
> From: "Rick Anderson" <rianders@rci.rutgers.edu>
> > The documentation for Tomcat seems to recommend that for a multi
developer
> > environment everyone run their own tomcat instance and each developer
> > having their own server.xml file.
> >
> > Isn't there an easier and cleaner way of doing this?
>
> I'm currently running each of my sites with separate tomcats
> with their own separate server.xml files, and I thought it
> was actually a pretty clean way of doing it, particularly
> for development, as everybody essentially has their own server
> that they can use/crash/misconfigure without bothering anyone
> elses work.

Well, with each webapp getting it's own "/lib" and "/classes" directories
and such (although this is part of the servlet 2.2 spec, so not unique to
tomcat), tomcat has already gone a long way toward giving each development
its own sandbox. About the only thing that I can think of off the top of my
head that's still server-wide is the users/passwords. If tomcat could make
that localizable, it seems that you'd only need to run one server. As far as
users being able to crash the server without affecting anybody..... tomcat
itself should crash when a webapp misbehaves.

- Joe